Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Green Lady Slipper Orchid Painting by Kim Docter



Okay, so the jig is up.  Kim Docter just-so-happens-to-be my darling mother, and the artist of this incredible painting.  The inspiration for it was a botanical print from one of my favorite coffee table books: The Orchid: From the Archives of the Royal Horticultural Society




I chose the Green Lady Slipper Orchid because it's almost bizarre.  A curiosity to be sure.  So exotic - that to some - it's almost ugly.  However, for a die hard orchid lover like myself - it epitomizes rebellious, exotic beauty. I wanted this painting to serve as the statement piece in my bathroom, and I absolutely could not be happier with it.  It is STUNNING. My mother took a very stoic botanical print (beautiful, but nonetheless) and gave it a soul.  I even convinced her to sign it...which is something that in ten years of painting has proved difficult - nigh impossible. Until now.

Needless to say, having a mother who is a talented artist doesn't suck. Next up, I'm going to put her to work on the large scale Lotus Painting for the living room.  Cause' I'm thoughtful like that :)

Thanks Mom.  I LOVE it. 

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment